Thursday, December 16, 2010

Internet

First thing I want to say "I think I addict to Internet hahaha".

I always bring my laptop with me when I travel. So I definitely needed computer for my 1 month in NZ.

For traveller, I suggest to bring laptop with you as many hostels and places provide free Internet nowadays. I am going to tell some free Internet places from my trip.

Auckland - there were 2 places I went which are McDonald on Quay St. and Auckland library.

This McDonald was opposite my hostel (Base Backpackers) so it was easy for me to go, just crossed the street. It opened 24 hrs. But they had limited accesss. I couldn't open facebook or gmail and some websites there. Also they don't have plug (in case you need to plug in your laptop. I was lucky to have new laptop back then but if I went there now, my 1 yr old laptop wouldn't last for 10mins Y_Y ).

Anyway McDonald is a good place for using free wifi at night time as most places in Auckland close already. It was little bit scary for me because there were many homeless and weird & bad look people are around there at night.

Auckland Library was like santuary for me when I was there haha. Auckland didn't have many things to go/do for me at that time. I spent many hours in library, chatting and surfing online. I know it was lame because I went to NZ for travelling. But I was in Auckland alone and wasn't in travelling mood back then.

I don't know how many library they have in Auckland but I went to Central City Libray, 44 -46 Lorne St. The hours are Mon - Fri : 9am - 8pm and Sat - Sun : 10am - 4pm. There are 3 floors (as I remember :p ) with plug provided everywhere but the number of people went there to use free wifi were high as well. They have usage limit fo 100MB per day which is enough if you don't upload, download or watching video.

Greymouth - Greymouth library
I stayed at Neptune Backpacker (I have a blog about it already) which had only paid Internet service, not free wifi. After talking to other guests, I found out that library has free Internet to use. Sorry that I can't remember the adress but the town is so small, you can walk around and ask local for library.

If you don't have own laptop, you can use computer there for 1 hour (maybe you can negotiate for longer time if there is no queue hehe) If you have own laptop, you can use Internet as long as you want and they also have plug there. Sweet as!!

In Queenstown and Chirstchurch, I used Internet at hostel. Pay some to get some ;)

I stayed at Flaming Kiwi Backpackers in Queenstown (www.flamingkiwi.co.nz) which was nice and staff are friendly there. If you have own laptop, you will get the code for 1hr Internet each.

It's the same in Chirstchurch where I stayed; Charlie B's Backpackers (www.charliebs.co.nz) free 1hr Internet per day if you have own laptop. At first I booked the room at friendz backpackers but because some silly rule of hostel so I didn't stay. Luckily I found Charlie B's which was so clean and nice with big kitchen that had everything you want for cooking. The TV room was big. The toilet and shower were so clean. I like there!

Hope this can help you somehow :) Don't forget to bring laptop with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment